21.12.10

photographer feature: aaron feaver








This is a partial interview with Aaron Feaver... If you would like to see the full interview, please click HERE.

How old are you?
32

Where are you from and where do you live now?
I was born in South Carolina, lived in France, Cameroon, Texas, California, Oregon, and Colorado, and now I live in Los Angeles.

When did you discover your interest in photography?
I started taking pictures when I was about 20, when I worked in a camera store to pay my way through school.

Who/what influenced you to be a photographer?
I was first attracted to the gadget aspect of photography. Playing with all the dials and levers and getting the settings just right to take a "proper" picture. I always just dabbled, though, until I started getting into people/fashion photography.

Who are some photographers that you like that inspire you?
When I first saw Dusdin Condren's portraits, though, I realized that I wanted to do something just like that. I love a lot of photographers, though…too many to list. I started a blog just so I could try keeping track of them all.

What is your favorite thing to photograph?
People, by far, in cool clothes and settings.

Where do you find and how do you instruct your models?
Initially I photographed friends, and then moved on to amateur models from Model Mayhem. Now I mostly photograph models I get from agencies.

Do you listen to music while you shoot? If so, what is on your photo shoot play list?
I always listen to music, yeah. Mostly upbeat stuff from the last 50 years or so.

Can you list off all of your photography equipment and which of these items you use most often?
Oh it would take paragraphs to list all my equipment. I've narrowed down what I use regularly to a few cameras, though. For medium format film I use a Pentax 6x7. For 35mm I have a Canon AE-1 and a Nikon FM2, and sometimes I use an Olympus XA or Stylus or even a Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim, which is kind of a toy camera. I use a couple of Polaroids; an SLR680, a 250 pack camera, and an old SX-70 sometimes, depending on the film. I also use a Canon digital camera.

What is your favorite lens and why?
Hmm I think my favorite is my 50mm f/1.4 lens for my Canon AE-1. It's small and light, but also much sharper than I'd ever need it to be. It makes great colors and gives a nice soft look to the out-of-focus areas.

Describe a day in your life:
Hmm…I had a shoot just a couple of days ago. I got up around 8 and made coffee for my girlfriend and myself. She made breakfast sandwiches and we ate in bed and read for a while. The model was styling the shoot, too, and she showed up around noon so we could go over the looks. The makeup artist and hair stylist came a little bit later and got to work. I just sat around chatting with people. This is all in my little home studio. It's really just an extra room in my apartment. Makeup and hair were done by about two, and we drove up the coast to Malibu and started taking pictures. We shot for an hour or so, until everyone was freezing, and then piled in the car and drove home. My girlfriend and I got thai food at a place on the beach, and then walked down to the water and I took some pictures of her in the surf. The end!

Do you have any advice for someone who is aspiring to become a photographer?
Hmm…I guess just find photos you like, figure out why you like them, and try to recreate them.

Other interesting things about you?
Haha. Well let's see, like I said I'm a graphic designer by day. I work for a little web studio in Venice, California, doing web design.

Have you ever eaten a crayon?
No!

Are you wearing socks right now?
Yes.

Last food that you ate?
I had an In-N-Out burger and fries for lunch, since there's one right by my film lab.

Your dream vacation?
Oh gosh, pretty much anywhere. I'd love to go take photos in Paris, or anywhere in the Mediterranean.

Do you like to sing in the shower?
Always, horribly.

Please check out more of Aaron Feaver's photography on
Feaverish Photography | Flickr | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment