19.10.10

photographer feature: john hill






How old are you/when were you born?
I'm 19 years old, born on August 17th 1991.

Where are you originally from and where are you located now?
I'm from a suburb of Sacramento, CA, and I now live in a different suburb of Sacramento, CA.

When did you discover your interest in photography?
I bought my first film camera a Canon AE-1, which is still my main camera, at a yard sale when I was 13 for $20. Pretty solid deal. Not much of interest really came out of that time. I took a black and white class in my freshman year of high school where I took a few decent pictures I guess. Photography was pretty far on the back burner for most of high school. In my first semester in college I took another black and white class and I suppose that's when I get really excited about photography then.

Who are some photographers that you like that inspire you?
Silvershotz Magazine almost always has some impressive work in each edition. On Flickr I'm a big fan of thedirtystory's work. It's pretty dang sexual and I like it for that. Netra.n has some really amazing work. I love the good use of people vs architecture/geometry. Her shots are oftentimes pretty large in scope in both visual and emotional weight. Martin Stranka's work is just DARK, and therefore AWESOME. Cass Bird is awesome. Oh and Samuel Bradley, just like everyone else does.

None of these really seem to show up in the translation to the work I make though, bummer.

What is your favorite thing to photograph?
I'm not really sure, I really like portraiture, but I think I get most excited about long exposures. I love water, I wish I incorporated more water into my work. I love anything that can be shot with super shallow depth.

Can you list off all of your photography equipment and which of these items you use most often?
I shoot a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm f/1.4 which I use a lot. A Ricoh XR-10 with a fucked up light meter and a whole ton of Tamron lenses. Two wides, a 50, Portrait Macro, and a 300mm (I forgot) Macro & a Holga 135TIM, it takes two picture on each frame, it's pretty neat.

Do you believe that film photography will be replaced by digital photography?
I don't think it'll ever be entirely replaced. I feel like the texture of film will always be admired, or at least for a long while to come. When film dies, I'm sure it'll be at the same time still photography dies.

Do you have any advice for someone who is aspiring to become a photographer?
Shoot full manual. Always.

See more of John Hill's photography on his CarbonMade page or on Flickr. And for the full interview with John Hill please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment